Do you owniPhone oriPad but clueless on how to jailbreak these devices? You might ask why do you need to jailbreak them when it is working perfectly in the first place? JailbreakingiPhoneor any other iOS device comes with additional benefits, as well as disadvantages.
As a caution before you proceed to jailbreak your device, let me warn you about the disadvantages of jailbreaking iOS or any other similar devices:By tampering with the original iOS, you run the risk of "bricking" youriPhone/iPod touch. If you aren't familiar with the term, "bricking" means rendering your phone unusable and it requires a complete wipe and restore to make it functional again. Well, its not a big deal given that there's a quick fix make it functional again. However, it is not recommended if you aren't the "adventurous" type. Jailbreaking the iOS also voids the device warranty. Without a valid warranty, any damages or malfunctions you encountered while using the device will not be covered by Apple. So, if you have the tendency to break the device or have buggy experiences with it, you might want to reconsider. Sometimes, when you tamper with the original iOS, you might end up with a more problems than solutions. You must understand that thesoftware engineers over at Apple designed thefirmware to be operated in certain intended manner. By tampering or enabling/disabling certain functions, you might have solved one problem but paved path for many problems to appear in the future. There is alsosecurity concerns to be considered when you jailbreak your perfectly fineiPhoneor iPod touch. By using third party software to jailbreak your device, you allow hackers to remotely plant malware (malicious software) onto your device.
Now, that you're aware of the disadvantages of jailbreaking, let me provide you with the benefits of jailbreaking youriPhoneoriPad:Jailbreaking your iOS device lets you install unapproved third party applications on your device. Often, these third party applications are handy but are not approved by Apple nor listed in theiTunes store for some reason. Also, jailbreaking allows you to unlock certain features and dramaticallyimprovethe functionalities of your device, such as: Using your iOS device as Wi Fi hotspots You will needMyWi for this purpose. Unlock Facetime feature to be used over 3G, which is otherwise only available over Wi fi. You must understand that jailbreaking does not necessarily mean that you are unlocking your sim (unlock from your carrier). However, in order to unlock youriPhoneto be used under another carrier, you must first jailbreak your device.
I hope that you have understood well the advantages and the disadvantages of jailbreaking your iOS device. Now, let's proceed to the actual content of the article.
How to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 untethered with Redsnow 0.9.7 b4
Its because tethered jailbreaks are frustrating. They require acomputer connection to boot a jailbroken iOS device whenever youriPhoneor iPod touch reboots or the battery dies.
The following is astep by step guide for the untethered Jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.7 beta 4.
1. To begin, restore youriPhoneto iOS 4.2.1firmwareand jailbreak your device by following the instructionsgiven here.
2. This untethered jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.7 b4 depends on the SHSH blobs saved for the 4.2b3 (iOS 4.2 Beta 3)firmware. To check this,start Cydia and wait for the main page to load. If you have the SHSH blobs saved for iOS 4.2 Beta 3, you will see "SHSH: 4.2b3" in the status.
3. Nowdownload Redsn0w 0.9.7b4 and connect youriPhone, iPod touch oriPadto yourcomputer.
4. This is a beta release, so you must have usbmuxd in yourcomputer. You candownload it from here. Once youdownloadit, extract it to yourcomputerandstartterminal in python-client directory and then type in the following commands:
chmod +x tcprelay.py
./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222
5.Startthe downloaded Redsn0w 0.9.7b4 and point it to the official iOS 4.2.1 .IPSW file.
6. In the next page, select "Jailbreak Monte" option, which untethers your iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak and then point it to iOS 4.2 beta 3firmware.
7. Before continue to the next step, make sure your iOS device is switched OFF and Plugged in to yourcomputer.
8. Now put your iOS device in theDFU Mode using the Redsn0w instructions shown on the screen.
9. Now sit back and relax while Redsnow 0.9.7b4 takes care of the rest.Once the process is over, you will have youriPhone,iPador iPod Touch fully jailbroken (Untethered) on the latest iOS 4.2.1firmware.